What better way to get things started than with a recipe? A quick and easy recipe that is sure to delight, as well!
Even after Christmas, there always seems to be an occasion or last minute need for that extra dish or gift around the holidays, like… New Year’s!
There is also, always a shortage on time during the holiday period as well, which makes finding or making something a bit more tricky.
No worries, I’ve got a recipe that is sure to delight not only the recipients, but you as well! It’s super simple and quick to make, plus, the sampling while making is delicious and encouraged.
A bonus is that it’s an easy recipe to make completely gluten-free, which is always appreciated by those with gluten-sensitive diets.
Puppy Chow/Muddy Buddies
- 4 cups Rice Cereal (I used Chex Mix)
- 1/2 cup Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chips
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Hazelnut Butter (I used the Justin’s brand)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Pour your cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate, microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate & peanut butter chips, hazelnut butter and butter. Then place in the microwave for 30 seconds (on regular power).
- Remove and stir well.
- Put back in the microwave for another 30 seconds, remove and stir well.
- If needed, repeat step 4 again until everything is melted and mixture is shiny and smooth. You shouldn’t need to repeat more than this though, unless you are doubling this recipe.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and very gently stir with a large wooden spoon until evenly covering the cereal pieces.
- In a large plastic bag with a strong seal, pour 1 and a half cups of the sifted powdered sugar. Then add in the chocolate covered cereal by spoon-fulls. Pour the last half cup of powdered sugar over the cereal and close/seal the bag.
- Shake the bag until all the cereal is coated with the powdered sugar.
You end up with this amazingly tasty mixture that even looks seasonal, like it’s covered in snow.
If you want to package it up as gifts, you can use little to-go boxes (I got mine at Michaels craft store) that are easy to pack up and look super cute all by themselves! You can add some ribbons and gift tags as well, but they don’t need to be wrapped and fit easily into a reusable or paper bag to transport.
Of course, I suggest saving some for yourself before setting them out for a party since these are so delicious, but if you’re like me, you may have already sampled a bunch.
Hope you enjoy these as much as I do! And have a very Happy New Year’s!